Monday, May 21, 2007

Drunken Noodles

Last week I met a good friend for lunch at Cafe Asia. This used to be a favorite of mine, but I hadn't visited for a while. I was sad to discover the menu had been downsized to a few of the basics - no where near the number of selections I remember from long ago.

I ordered my favorite, Drunken Noodles, and was extremely disappointed. I told my friend that mine are better. Although it's been a while since I've made this recipe, they are just as good as I remember - and better than you can get in half the restaurants out there!

Drunken Noodles

2 T. chopped fresh Serrano chili
1 T. chopped garlic

1 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Black Pepper to taste

3T. Fish sauce
1T. dark soy sauce

2T. canola oil
1/4 lb. ground pork (chicken works too)
1/2 lb. (one package) fresh rice noodle sheets, cut into 1" strips
3/4 C. fresh Thai Basil leaves
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and quartered lengthwise


1. Prepare all of the ingredients above before you start cooking. - you will need to work quickly to add all the ingredients.
2. Combine sugar, salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Combine fish sauce and soy sauce in another small bowl.
3. Heat the wok over medium-high heat. Add the oil to coat the surface.
4. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and toss until golden. (30 seconds)
5. Quickly add the chilies and toss for another 30 seconds.
6. Add the pork. Use a spatula to break down the meat and mix with the garlic and chilies.
7. Add the sugar mixture and mix with meat.
8. Add the sauce mixture. Continue mixing until the sauce bubbles and gets thick.
9. Add the noodles and toss gently until the sauce is absorbed.
10. Mix in the basil and tomatoes. Give a quick turn to incorporate and serve immediately.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wahoo! She's alive!

Renee said...

Yay!! I'm so excited to see another recipe from Andria!! I can't wait to try it when I get back home!

Renee said...

I made the drunken noodles tonight and I'm eating them as I type. DELISH!! I'm sweating...but I'm loving every bite! Thanks for the recipe!